Typographic/process page development
As said before these will be styled around mantra posters and Anthony Burrill’s work. Focusing on them being easily read, short, snappy and aesthetically pleasing in a minimal way using nice typefaces and errors found often in handmade printwork.
- Plak Condensed
- Futura Display
- League Gothic
The typography can be just as important as the colour in influencing the viewers emotions when looking at the piece sometimes more so in a two tone graphic where the type will have to carry both’s burdens. This means the typeface choice could and will be essential in make the correct impact on the reader.
These pieces will most likely be all uppercase, though this may harm the legibility it will improve the aesthetics and impact to some extent.
I began by tying to lay out a few of the lines from the process I made the illustrations so far for.
Futura display –
I think that I will need to cut down on the word count for some off the phrases, as these above, although the left isn’t as bad, are too long for the look I’m going for so each process may need a third or fourth run through to cut them back.
Flicking through the ‘Make it now!’ by Anthony Burrill I have found a really nice textured font which he himself uses a lot, though he himself does’t know what it is, it is a font which he obtained from a friend in Jamaica who got it from an old print shop there.
From these fonts gained by scanning them in from the Anthony Burrill book I have rearranged the letters in the order of the sentences I have refined by writing them out and rewriting them until they are short and snappy enough to become individual typographic pieces whilst still retaining enough information to accurately portray the meaning to the audience.
Stab binding process
The design with a bit of extra info at the bottom to both save on space and make the process easier to follow.
I then tried to print this design on a really thin newspaper like paper but it kept getting stuck in the printer causing the print to mess up, however from this the mistakes were actually very nice and I may look into experimenting to achieve a similar effect during the screen printing process to make a few ‘pages of madness’, creative explosions of type and shape to add variety and abnormality to the book making it more interesting and less repetitive. This could even link to certain arts movements like dadaism and by taking these and mixing them with the artists I’ve researched I could really end up with something unusual and successful created from something that was unsuccessful.
Second typographic page of the stab binding. Here I am experimenting with various layouts trying to keep it different from the previous.
I then began trying to use the wording of the sentence as an action verb for the layout.
Which I don’t particularly like, for the reason of, for one it’s too all over the place to leave any space for the extra information which if included with these although vital to get the message across will look a mess.
Third and final step of the coptic binding.
This first layout makes use of the full stop to show it’s the end and as a sign for the ‘hole’.
This third version has been enlarged for the words ‘repeat’ and ‘all’ to bring emphasis to them.
From here I took all the designs into InDesign and after resizing them I added a small amount of additional information at the bottom .
Here are the final designs for the stab binding process.
Stage 1 –
Stage 2 –
Stage 3 –
Next to be arranged were the stages for the coptic binding process.
Final stage of Coptic binding process designs.
Kettle stitch process designs.
Stage 1 shows puts emphasis on the down and places all words on the ‘left’.
Stage 2 places most of the words on the left except the word ‘right’ which is on the right.
And then finally repeat.
With some of the files becoming corrupt and no longer being able to open them I’ve had to remake a few of them and with people preferring the designs that followed the sentence using the words as action verbs to create a layout. From this I used the opportunity to recreate a few whilst being influenced by this, experimenting with overlapping, positioning and cutting out to create new designs, some of which worked well others did not.
Final typographic page designs
Kettle stitch –