Final Evaluation

At the start of this project I had set myself on the idea of making a sign-painted piece using the styling of vintage posters as inspiration, which I had carried on with through most of the project. This was all before I had decided which issue to pursue, in the beginning I had the few ideas of looking at various topics from the angle most won’t, being environmental, political or slightly conspiracy based. Over time I lent toward choosing the brainwashing based topic, however I began to feel that it may end up too controversial to the point of most people completely shutting out any other views, therefore I altered it slightly to lean more towards propaganda and  Indoctrination which in order to manage it into something more focused and driven I began to concentrate in on the power of words.

The reason I had decide to pursue this topic is because I feel that most people now are too negative and too opinionated, they refused to accept something if it clashes with what they have always believe. People also tend to, without thinking, confess things that if they hadn’t confessed may not ever have happened and if they had confessed something else may have improved their situation, examples are people often say they can’t, which if you say you can’t then YOU CAN’T and people who complain about being ill and always act as such then they will improve their health a lot slower.

Throughout the project I have faced many difficulties such as simply have a creative block, not feeling that my project met up to the ‘awareness’ aspect as I had set myself to much with the idea of wanting to create the sign-painted piece and couldn’t drag myself to change this until too late where my final difficulty started and I had too many things I wish I could have done but didn’t have anymore time therefore to create anything physical to show how it will be only ended up with concepts of how it could be.

However this project has a few major high points, I have learned the most in the project and feel it has been a great help into help me to change for the upcoming final project where I will completely rethink and restudy development to reach heights in design that I have never thought possible for me before. Before this project I knew almost nothing about Photoshop and InDesign, however the main part of the final designs have been done using both of those, with very little being done on illustrator which I have also improved a little more on too, however I already knew quite a bit of using illustrator already. Not only the work produced for the final designs but the work put into experimenting in order to reach these designs has taught me a lot too.

The materials used to create this project has been quite simple and very minimal except from the materials used for experimenting and for the workshops, the only materials used to produce the project were the standard pencil and paper for traditional design work and also heavily relying on maths equipment such as a compass, ruler and protractor.

Maths has played a big part in my design work, all my handmade fonts are made using measurements and geometry building fonts from circles and rectangles which have been measured carefully to keep a consistent line weight through the text and to keep the kerning at a even distance.

Also as you could expect english has been a huge part of my project with it being the power of words, I have had to research new and unusual words I have never even heard of to create interesting branding for my coffee’s and tea’s.

As always this project hasn’t gone to plan, I ended up in a completely different place to where I expected to be at this point, however I don’t regret where I have ended up, although my end project looks simple it is far more complex and interesting than my other idea ever could have been. I has ended up as a coffee branding where buying coffee is intended to make you think about the words you are buying also, playing with the idea of words being costly depending on how you use them, the idea to inspire the issue of the power of words which again is far more complex than you’d expect focusing of many issues the miss use of words can have, with them being one of the most powerful resources available to mankind, with the power to create and destroy.

Others may not completely understand the depth of my work as my ideas only end up showing the tip of the iceberg, as they would just end up too complicated and probably not work overall if I had found away of cramming that much information in.

Between now and the next project I intend to study up on development using a book I received for christmas but haven’t got down into the nitty gritty of yet, I hope that with this I can completely rethink my design process to make it more efficient and to produce a better, more professional and more in depth final outcome for the next project. Also taking into account all the things I have learned and all the mistakes to further improve through the next project. Finally I hope to cut down on the artist research I do at the start of the project and to refine this research to make it more relevant and useful later into the project.

Overall I am relatively happy with outcome of the project, although I haven’t managed to get everything done that I had wanted to I feel that I have received more positives than negatives from this project and hope this will only improve into the next project.

 

 

 

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s